Last month I did a roundup of all the Trashy Diva dresses I’ve tried, with scores for how boob-friendly they were. One of the dresses I featured was the Sci-Fi Rockets print “Rockette” dress, a halter with a big contrasting red collar and pockets.
I somewhat guessed on the boob score for that one, though, because the size 10 I have is really a size up from my usual 8. But the 10’s waist apparently ran smaller in this model, because it fit in that spot while being way too big around the ribcage. Yet it had the perfect amount of volume for my breasts. Since it’s made of a pretty sturdy stretch cotton, I felt comfortable altering it myself. Here’s what I did to shrink the ribs while maintaining volume in the chest.
Essentially, I added vertical darts where they weren’t any before, in the space between the waist and my breast apex. Secondly, I tightened the ribs at the existing side seams.
(In these photos, I’m wearing a Freya Deco Strapless in 30FF, and I measure 37”-29”-41”.)
So now the boobs were more form-fitting, but the back was still not tight enough to stay up. So the next step was to shrink the overall circumference. This also had a side effect of making the weird excess fabric under the collar be less noticeable. I ended up doing nothing with the collar in the end because the red flaps covered it up anyway.
Big improvement in my opinion! I wore it the next day. It was really hot and I was carrying a bunch of heavy things outside and sweating a lot, though, so the fabric around my ribs loosened up a bit and starting falling down in back again and showing off my bra band. I’m sure it’ll tighten back up once it’s freshly laundered, so I’m hesitant to tighten the ribs any further for fear that I won’t be able to zip it up. So instead I’m going to shorten the neck strap just a little. Luckily, it narrows to only about an inch wide in back and lays flat, so I’ll just have to pinch it in half and sew it without any cutting.