I last left off having dropped the dress off at the seamstress to have the waist taken in and the bust cups shaped a bit. I also left my Le Mystere Soiree Bustier with the seamstress, so they could take it into account with the cup shaping.
When I picked up the dress, it was perfect! The cups were a little more rounded at the top (instead of having pointy-ish outer corners) and the waist was cinching me in and staying up without feeling at all uncomfortable. However, a tiny bit of the bustier was still peeking out if I moved too much. Since I doubted I’d find anything better, I decided to just trim down the gore and the inner cup. Here is how I did it…
Here’s the bustier as it started:
The rest of this post will be photos with instructions in the caption. Apologies for all the different lighting, as it was done over several different days at different times. Everything here was sewn by hand.
Next up was coating the wires so they couldn’t stab back through the fabric later. I considered just dipping them in hot glue, but was advised that that might not be good enough and the glue could easily pop off since the metal is non-porous. Instead, I got heat-shrink tubing. It comes in a variety of sizes and colors, and shrinks down to half its size. I bought 3/16” tubing.
Back to sewing!
DONE! The finished product was never visible on my wedding day, even after hiking down a mountain for good photos and dancing for two hours straight! Here are some final photos:
Next week: Lessons I learned from my dress’s tailoring, and what I’ll tell the seamstress next time I need a sweetheart neckline altered.